THE OLD LIVERY STABLE

Cha's H. Lyon, Livery and Feed Stable

 
IMG_7671 copy.JPG

Bell Mare was built in 1877 by Charles Lyons and served the village for many years. The people of Galien used the livery to rent stables for their horses. It was also commonly used by people coming into Galien on train. Visitors would rent horses and carriages to get around, as there were no cars at the time.


The livery stable is one of Galien's oldest buildings. Over the years it was used as a basketball court, roller rink and dance hall. Later, it was used for farm equipment sales and implement repairs.

 

DOWNTOWN GALIEN

Early 1900's

 
new.JPG
 

BELL MARE

Est. 2019

 
IMG_0927 3.heic

2019

In 2019, the old livery stable was purchased by its' current owners and thoughtfully named Bell Mare (a female horse that wears a bell around her neck and serves as the leader of the pack) as a nod to the original intended purpose of this historic building.

The current owners had to overcome many obstacles to obtain approval to operate as an event venue. The renovation and approval process took nearly 3 years to complete.

 
Bell Mare Today

CURRENT DAY

Bell Mare’s French aesthetic was inspired by Galien’s deep French origin. Galien Township received its name from the Galien River, which was named by the early French explorer, Father René Brehant de Galineé. In 1836, the French name, Galineé, was “Americanized to become Galien (guh-LEEN). 


During the restoration of this historic building, it was important to the owners to maintain the old livery stable’s historic charm while providing modern functionality to ensure a pleasurable experience for guests.


The owners have carefully filled their space with special pieces from all over the country to carry out their vision of a romantic, French-inspired venue that their guests would love as much as the owners. 


The restoration of Bell Mare was a marriage of the old and new and a true labor of love that the owners are proud to finally share with their special guests.